Thursday, March 15, 2012

Trying out Alva Cloth Diapers

In my previous post, I was able to try to cloth diaper Ced in a cheap and effective way- courtesy of my officmate's tip. It was smooth sailing for awhile when my then yaya gave up, she blamed the old-style lampin for Ced's crying every afternoon (IKR). Ced was 3 months at that time, so I ended up going back to disposable until I finally decided to try Alva Diapers, that is quite being popular in the online stores for some time. Alva re-usable diapers are manufactured from China that's why its cheaper than other cloth diaper brands. Since it has many good reviews even from the western mommies, I decided to try - Especially when an online seller I meet via facebook started selling the line.


Alva diapers are pocket type diapers, it comes with one piece insert. The inner fabric is soft and the outer cover is a laminated fabric. The printed types I ordered are made from velvet fabric, and they appeared bigger than the plain ones in terms of sizes. What really attracted me to alvas is the price, a 300 peso Pocket diapers seems to be a good deal, since I buy it online I have to pay a shipping fee but that is still a huge saving compared to other Brands Iv'e seen. The construction is favorable, the elastic leg area seems strong even if Ced's thighs are really chunky :) Its just that the back pocket appears large and the inserts would peep whenever my little one sits.


Baby Ced in his "perfectly" fitted Alvas


I ordered 3 plain diaper covers and 10 extra microfiber inserts for my starting kit. They were delivered two weeks after I pre-ordered. Ced is almost 9 kilos and he fits on the 2nd snap-on button, Its still big enough that I think he could use it for a long time ( I hope he is potty-trained at that time he no longer fits in them). Its just that I have to make sure that the leg area is snug and fitted so that it won't leak even if he started to sit on his own.


I also learned that the cloth diaper inserts needs pre-washing. I asked the seller if I had to boil them or soak them over-night, she told me that I just need to soak them on a boiled water until the water cools off, then wash them thoroughly using a mild detergent. Bleaches and Fabric conditioners are a no-no, and I had to dry them under the sun for a natural bleaching effect. I was able to use the set a day after they were delivered to me, I tried them to ced's bum during the night and I used 2 inserts since he sleeps for 8-10 hours,just to be sure it wont leak.


I doubled the insert so It won't leak during the night.


I was a little "praning" that I keep on checking on his bum the whole night, but Alva did its job. He pooped and peed on it in the morning and still there were no leaks! The only thing that concerned me was the stain on the insert that catched his poop, so I soaked them in a pail with a mixture of a mild detergent, and washed them the day after, the stain were completely gone after I sun dried them (thank God for a tropical country). I brought 10 extra inserts because I do laundry every other day. My baby could use 4-5 diapers a day, so I figured out we could use like 6 inserts a day (just to be sure). I plan to build my Alva stash, I think pocket diapers works for me unlike the pre-folds which I tried before, Alva is a great buy considering it is very inexpensive.


I hope this time my cloth diapering adventure will be a success. Plus, I've been wanting to order some cute diaper covers from Baby Jills.


Isn't this the cutest?

I have been wanting to stick to cloth diaper ever since because I think baby Ced could learn potty training easier this way, and of course the cost. I cannot continue watching the disposables (which we spent good money on) being thrown away every day. Its also my and baby Ced's way of giving back to mother earth. I also read that disposable diapers causes breathing problems because of the off-gassing in them.

14 comments:

  1. Hello! Been reading your blog for quite sometime now. What detergent are you using for your cloth diapers? Are the materials used in Alva/Next9 similar to charlie bananas? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am not using any special kind of detergent for my cloth diapers, just the regular one we also use for our clothes :) I guess they're pretty much the same, Alva, next9 and charlie banana's have laminated fabric inside and micro-fleece outside, they all comes with a microfiber/bamboo inserts. What's great about Charlie banana's is that they are accessible and available in most dept. stores, Alva's need to be pre-ordered online. Thank's for visiting!

      Delete
  2. this is the 1st time i heard about alva CD..is it good?thanks god i found about alva CD as many CD out there are so expensive!!i CD-ing my son 4years ago and now need to learn again bout CD for my NB. now got so many brand out there..have u tried other CD too?what's the different?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mamamuhammad, Im a fan of pocket CDs particularly Alva's because they are cheap and comes in Bigger sizes than the other China-manufactured CDs. Were into pre-folds before I got introduced to pocket CDs and pocket CDs by far is the most convenient for me. I do have babyland, also a pocket, please see this post:

    http://commonmomnet.blogspot.com/2012/07/babyland-and-alva-diapers.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I've been reading your blog numerous times too, repeatedly. And this just caught my attention. How come you received your order after 2weeks? I just ordered 5pcs of alva 3.0 diapers via Facebook and I got my order 2days after paying!

    Oh, for mommies looking for CD's out there, there are some suppliers in Facebook who have really good promos! I got my alvas for 5pcs/P1,000 with free shipping! (solid colors only) :)

    And mama, what brand of cloth diapers can you recommend for newborns? Im giving birth on february :)


    -Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angel,It's because I pre-ordered :) I didn't choose from on-hand designs that my supplier already have that's why I have to wait for 2 weeks. For new-born diapers, I heard that GroVia prefolds are the best diapers for new borns base on online discussions, but if you are pocket fanatic like me, i suggest you try babyland or babywizard in velcro snaps, they are easier to put on baby's bum unlike the plastic snaps. They are also more fitted compare to alvas.

      Delete
  5. Hey, I you order direct from www.alvababy.com, the shipping is free and the diapers are less than $6 each! I'm picking up my stash today :) thanks for the washing tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mama! Could you tell me where you ordered your Alva CDs and how much you paid for them, plus shipping and wait time? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I ordered mine from "Baby's Little Nook" an online supplier I meet via Facebook. It took me 2 weeks to receive my CD's because I pre-ordered them. They're around 290Php each and the shipping fee is around 90Php via JRS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is very clear.It was truly informative.Your website is very useful.Thank you for sharing.
    Wholesale baby diaper supplier

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, ive read youre blog just this moment.. Iam also a cloth diaper user but I also use disposables at night and when we go out. Is alva diaper bigger than other cloth diapers like next9, or other brands? My boy is chubby and i dont know how long I will be able to use cloth diaper on him. He will turn 11 months and weighs almost 11 kgs..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me, 
    and I am completely satisfied with your website. 
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in.
    turn you are sharing with each one!….

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me, 
    and I am completely satisfied with your website. 
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in.
    turn you are sharing with each one!….

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great article. I’ve read in many other places before that but
    I did not get this type of effective and more useful text. It is really important now to
    vary your anchors as this seems more natural to user.
    This article helped me a lot to understand information.

    ReplyDelete